voted best: 2015 bloody mary
- visit us in detroit's historic eastern market -
family owned since 1967
John and Shirley Vivio opened Vivio’s in 1967 in Eastern Market’s historic Meyfarth’s Hall building. Built in 1892, Meyfarth’s Hall originally served the then surrounding German community with a Bar on the first floor, a Social hall on the second floor, and the Meyfarth family residence on the third. The northern half of the first floor has served
as a bar continuously since the building was erected, making it one of the oldest continuous bar spaces in the City. In 1967, John and Shirley opened Vivio’s in the Northern half of the first floor. Surrounded by butcher shops and produce outlets, and in the shadow of the massive Stroh’s Brewery, Vivio’s soon became a local
favorite for great food, generous portions, and warm service.
In 1975, Vivio’s was destroyed by a devastating fire.
It took John and Shirley more than a year to regroup and rebuild,
but eventually Vivio’s reopened, and reclaimed its place in the Eastern Market community. Over the years, Vivio’s has undergone two major expansions, first adding the dining room in the southern half of the first floor, and, in the new Millenium, adding the entire second floor. In 2010, Vivio’s expanded beyond Detroit’s city limits, opening Vivio’s Food & Spirits at 12 mile and Ryan in Warren. Today, the Vivio Family continues to be present every day to carry on the tradition of Food, Friends and Fun at Eastern Market’s oldest bar – Vivio’s Food & Spirits. We always look forward to welcoming new characters into the ongoing history of Vivio’s.
- Sincerely Vince & Mijo